Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Saturday, 7 January 2012

A Makeover for Blue Bunny




I am linking this updated post to Sepia Saturday, where Alan has given us a picture which prompts a rabbit-themed post. Alan himself has posted a photo of his brother, when small, with a toy rabbit. This gave me the idea to link to my ‘other blog’ for a change, as I was able to tell Alan that I recognised the very pattern that his brother’s toy had been made from. The book was ‘Felt Toys’ by Mochrie and Roseman and was re-issued by Dryad press several times. In the sixties I learned to make soft felt toys from that very book and its companions; ‘More Soft Toys’ and 'Rag Bag Toys’. That was really how it all began and I carried on and from there I went on to make toys for my children and now for my grandchildren,



When the children were small I made them each a soft toy rabbit using a pattern from Pamela Peake’s ‘Creative Soft Toy Making’. The rabbits were named Pink Bunny and Blue Bunny; not very original I know, but it suited them perfectly. The above picture is of my son using Pink Bunny as a pillow, with Blue Bunny keeping a watchful eye. The picture below shows Blue Bunny when he was very new, sitting proudly in my son’s Christmas sack, and surrounded by other handmade toys, including the appliqued alphabet blocks. I see this was also the time when I was into patchwork, evidenced by the cushions on the sofa behind. There’s a story attached to Pink Bunny, who was to perish in a devastating house fire only a couple of years ago, but more of that in a later post.

If you look back at If You Knew Susie, you will see both bunnies enjoying a tea party when they had become much loved companions of my children. Blue Bunny was passed back to my son a few years ago and now belongs to my grandson. Pictures sent to me by my son showed that although Blue Bunny was still complete and surviving the rough and tumble of life with three year-old twins, he wasn’t the bunny he once was. Here he is in hospital awaiting a tonsillectomy (my grandson’s not Blue Bunny’s) and being potty-trained by grandaughter.


I could see that poor old Blue Bunny needed re-stuffing, as he could no longer sit unaided, and there were unsightly neck wrinkles behind his head. Where his limbs joined his body there was no stuffing at all; he definitely needed building up. A holiday in the sun was prescribed and he travelled to see us in Lanzarote, bringing his owners with him.       

At last I was able to give him the makeover he deserved. New stuffing added, joints and ears strengthened and a smart new bow -tie to match my grandson’s shirt. He now can sit and stand too! Not bad for a 32 year-old bunny. I wonder if he’ll be around for the great-grandchildren!



If you like old photographs, sepia or otherwise, why not hop over to Sepia Saturday and  burrow into some of the stories you find there.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, you are so nice, and Blue Bunny looks so proud to be all dressed up with somewhere to go! I have old toys from when I was little and dolls that my Grandma J. made for my girls. Awesome post, Little Nell.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous that you could spruce up Blue Bunny! Wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing about the Bunny! I love toys and thats my other job/hobby

    Thanks for the comment on my photo blog, here is my toy blog, I help reunite old toys and baby blankets

    http://www.savethetoys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect Sepia Saturday post (from whence I have come) -- as it follows the prompt, marries old with new and leaves us smiling with a happy ending. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter 'collected' rabbit toys when she was young but these were not home made. After seeing Alan's rabbit with Roger I have 'dug' them out to be photographed and added to SS later.
    I can see whu your toys have survived; I'm sure they will make their way to another generation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I would really be inspired if I had any grandchildren to make things for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, what Lisa said. I enjoyed this post very much following Blue Bunny through his life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what fun and informative....quite well made to have survived through the generations too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A touching story Little Nell indeed. To have made the original and now having the opportunity to refurbish it for a grandson. Quite a brave little bunny. Great post.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blue bunny could write a book! Your son looks so comfy napping on Pink bunny, I'm sorry to hear Pink died a firey death later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But can he still do the splits? All the same, he looks wonderful, so I'm wondering if you can do make-overs on humans too? I feel the need...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bunnies are gorgeous - and they seemed to enjoy their tea party although I suspect pink bunny was licking the plate! I still have my teddy although he's pretty bald with having all his fur loved off for 46 years, and has mis-matched eyes. Mum regularly made him little jackets (to stop the straw bursting out of his seams) and sewed his ears back on. I still have him - he lives in my pants drawer, so he's never far away :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blue Bunny looks like a fine friend for a child. Boys can have bunnies but it's harder for them to have dolls. (I'll have to remember that as we anticipate the birth of a grandchild of, as yet, unknown gender.) Thanks for sharing Blue Bunny with us. I can see you've made many other great stuffed toys, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an incredible cool bunny! My great-grandmother made every kind of animal she could think of out of old coats and scraps and they were all just loved to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Nell! I absolutely loved this post. I am a HUGE stuffed animal fan and am amazed that Blue Bunny still has a place with the grandchildren. You made and re-made him very well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A superb piece of investigation Nell, I must send a link to the post to Roger. You always seem to take Sepia Saturday into places it has never been before. Thank you for being such a stalwart and creative supporter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely story and wonderful Bunny Post, Nell! You did such a good job of making Blue Bunny in the first place, and a then a great makeover too! It was lovely to see the books you had and the toys you used to make, I can see it can become a life long craft. Your children and grandchildren have been very lucky to receive these sweet toys, and obviously love them very much. Thank you for visiting my blog and your lovely comment too.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so adorable! One always hopes that all of the love & care invested in making these little lovelies will be appreciated ~ & very clearly yours are! ;-D I myself hope to have grandchildren one day soon. In anticipation of that event, I confess I have been on a bit of a toy-making binge. Have you ever seen the felt softy toy books by Naomi Tabatha? They are so sweet & innocent ~ perfect toys for girls & boys (animals, dolls, little pocket-pals, you name it!) If you are interested, I have a few up on my blog that I have completed. ~Cara
    PS: I just love your blog, so sweet to see love & happiness, I think you must be one of those "special people" others love to love. May God bless you! ;-D

    ReplyDelete