Welcome to my 'other blog' the one that explores my crafty side. I have been a maker of 'things' since childhood. By nature I'm creative. I still love to write, and you can click on this link to visit my blog: Hanging On My Word, which is where I indulge in the thought and word side. Although a teacher by profession, I don't offer tutorials. This is my showcase of projects I like to share. So pull aside the curtains and let's begin (I'm a bit theatrical too!).

Tuesday, 13 August 2013

A Little Bit of Sparkle



Here's my granddaughter jumping for joy when she received her new cardigan in the post. It was from Simply Crochet Magazine Issue One, under the title 'Little Cherub' and described as having a 'vintage vibe'. The pattern, by Sirdar, called for their 'Snuggly' 4 ply yarn, but Black Sheep Wools had an offer on of Wendy's Peter Pan Moondust so I bought enough for the cardigan and some for my stash (I knew I'd find a use for it). When we last visited UK in April, my granddaughter was interested in my crocheting and I told her I'd be making her a cardigan with little sparkles in it next. She was very patient, although she asked a few times when it would be ready. I took the opportunity to get her measurements and hope she wouldn't have too much of a growth spurt in the interim! 








By the looks of the pictures I got the sleeve length just right, and I can always add a row or two next time I'm over if needed. It would be more tricky to add to the length, as I have with other things I've made for her, as this garment was crocheted from the hem upwards, and some creative thinking would be needed.








It was a fairly easy make, but for some reason the bodice decreases wouldn't come out with the right number of stitches at the shoulder. Checking on Ravelry, it seemed I wasn't the only one, so a few minor adjustments were made. 

If I make this pattern again I'd add a little button as the ribbon isn't enough to hold the garment closed when you do a lot of dancing and jumping apparently!



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful granddaughter and lovely sweater. Reminds me of the things my mother used to crochet for my daughters years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, for pointing me in the direction of your other blog. I love the title and also the main headline picture as it reminds me so much of my mother's bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Granddaughter is so cute! dressed to the 9's in that creation! X T

    ReplyDelete
  4. so feminine, I love the fragility of this crochet look, wish I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty, the jacket and the model. Double pleasure, you making the jacket and your granddaughter wearing it.

    ReplyDelete