I was in need of a very large tote bag for the hauling round the largish blanket I’m making. I had one but the blanket was outgrowing it and the yarns I was using were in a separate bag. Then I came upon this (new) hessian shopper, with four outside pockets, at a car boot sale. I handed over the princely sum of a euro, and it was mine.
Although it was a nice strong bag in its own right, it was a bit floppy and rather dull. I played around with it for a while and then I had a brainwave. I turned the whole thing inside out, which gave a me a much sturdier construction in a bucket shape with four inside pockets. This left me with an outside that actually looked like an inside and an even duller look to it.
Brainwave number two; cover it in a bright PVC fabric. For €1.50 I had enough to do the job. I wont pretend it was easy. Despite carefully measuring, I manged to get some of it wrong. It was very difficult to sew and a mistake meant lots of little pinpricks in the PVC fabric, which wouldn’t disappear.
I found some webbing I’d saved from something else to cover the ugly seam inside the bag, and prettied up the outside with some lace from my stash.
I’m not sure I’d do it again, but I am definitely pleased with the overall result. Three of the inside pockets store the (nine) yarns in the correct sequence for the blanket, and the fourth holds the pattern and oddments of yarn too small for a complete row.
For €2.50 (and a few hours work) I call that a job well done.